Monday, January 14, 2008

Hope for Eye Cancer . . . clarifying some of the details

It was so nice to receive an e-mail or two from Melanie Gilbert, thanking me for including my mom's story in my blog. She was so helpful in giving me some clarification on some details which have become fuzzy in my mind (and my mom lives an hour away from me, so she wasn't here as I was typing, so I had no one to remind me of some names). My mom's surgery for her ocular melanoma was performed by Dr. Jerry or Dr. Carol Shields (I can't remember which one was my mom's surgeon). I just know that both Dr. Shields are some of the foremost experts in their field, having written books and articles galore! The name of the Eye Institute is the Wills Eye Institute, in Philadelphia. I went to visit my mom there while she was being treated. It's not too difficult to find (even though I took a wrong turn at one point and ended up crossing the bridge to New Jersey before turning around!). Melanie also gave me some two links to share. If people are looking for stories of hope for eye cancer, or uveal melanoma, or ocular melanoma stories and information, try www.seeacure.com, or http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ChoroidalMelanoma/ .

Some of you may also have noticed the comment on my last blog by a another eye cancer survivor named Lynne. I will start a new list of links on the left side of this blog, for anyone looking for hope after eye cancer diagnosis. Please feel free to comment or e-mail! I can't always promise that I will reply immediately, but I do so very much appreciate the feedback!

1 comment:

Paul said...

Tammy,

It is 3:35 AM on the 4th of August 2008. I am sitting in my "cell" hospital room at Barnes Jewish Hospital in St louis. I have a lead plate coveing my left (cancer) eye while the radiation is kicking but. Thanks for your blog for those us at the beging of this long trip info is gold. I would also like to invite you to share your blog with us at:

http://eyecandy.blogforacure.com/weblog

Cheers,

EyeCandy (Paul)