Saturday, June 30, 2007

Kids Growing Up


As my children age, they get busy, and their lives don't revolve around the family as much . . . . they are often off and doing their own thing. My son Joel is away at "Creation East" (http://www.creationfest.com). He left on Wednesday morning. This begins his early summer schedule of being away from home a lot. Creation Festival in June, a week with my parents in July (an hour away), and then to Long Island New York for a week-long summer missions trip. I remember last year that by the time he was away at the missions trip (in West Virginia last year), I was ready for him to be home. I'm so glad that my kids love life and all the activities that they have an opportunity to be involved in. I wouldn't keep them from those opportunities. They need to follow their passions and their dreams and figure out where God wants them to be in life. But when they're gone, I miss them! (And my son doesn't miss us, so he doesn't usually check in!). But I'm reminded that this is just a precursor of the future. That it won't be long until Abby and then Joel are off to college and then on their own. Guess these week-long trips away are good "practice."

And then I think about my sister, whose son died in a tragic accident at the age of 15, and all of the other parents who have children who have died. And I know that they are probably frequently thinking that they are ready for their kids to "come home" from their absence.

Every day is a gift!

No comments: